At Baycourt, Tauranga
The finals concert of our popular biennial concerto competition for 12-18 year old performers.
Conducted by Justus Rozemond.
Adjudicators: Peter Walls, Katherine Austin, John Ure.
Rising Stars concerto competition finalists:
- Huang Yu Li (piano): Mozart – Concerto No 9 in E flat major, 1st movement
- James Robinson (trumpet): Arutiunian – Concerto in A flat major, 1st movement
- Leo Read (trombone): David – Concertino No.1 in G minor, 1st movement
- Sumin Sarah Lee (violin): Mozart – Concerto No 3 in G major, 1st movement
- Rosa Hook (violin): Mendelssohn – Concerto in E minor, 3rd movement
- Hayden Butt (clarinet): Weber – Concerto No 2 in E flat minor, 2nd movement
Janáček – Adagio for Orchestra.
The winner was Leo Read for his spirited and confident performance of David’s Concertino for trombone. Huang Yu Li (piano) was awarded the special jury prize for her sensitive playing of the Mozart concerto.
Photos by Jeanette Nee and Vivianne Baldwin